How I Take Care Of Myself While On My Period

April 15, 2019

Hey guys,

The week we all dread every month, the 'hormonal' week...periods. They are a killer. If we could choose to not have periods (and still be fertile for children) then I think everyone would choose not to. But mother nature...hey ho.
  • When I'm on my period do not ask me to go and exercise. My energy goes downhill and you will have to come and actually drag me out of the bed and to the gym. All I want to do is tay in bed, binge watch Netflix and eat lots and lots of junk food, especially chocolate. However, I will go for a brisk walk (definitely not on the 1st day though) as I find this eases cramps and is a light exercise. And fresh air, everyone knows the benefits, especially increasing your mood and easing stress. 
  • As I lose my energy and motivation, I don't tend to create any to do lists because I know I won't do them. Therefore, I don't beat myself up. I don't call it my 'time of the month' I call it 'me week' or 'lazy week.' Don't ask me to do anything for you (unless it's an emergency) because I'll leave it till the following week. Especially the first 2 days of the cycle. 
  • As I work in an office 8:30-4:30 sometimes if I can actually get myself up I will put makeup on but 8 out of 10 times I prefer my bed and go in with nothing on. Sometimes mascara and concealer is my go to. When it comes to my period, I prefer not to have makeup on but make sure I am strict with my skincare routine as my skin becomes even more sensitive and acne prone. 
  • Pampering - I am obsessed with hot baths, candles lit and Lush or Body Shop products. Even when its not the the time of the month I am obsessed. But pampering does help.
  • Hot water bottles - Oh my god, whoever created these are a life saver. With being in an office job and getting (unsolved) many stomach pains I love use a hot water bottle to ease the pains and aches in my back and stomach. If you can't have hot water bottles in work maybe try a heated pad that you peel and stick onto the part of your body that gets the cramps. Sometimes I like doing both because I can never be bothered refilling my hot water bottle and sometimes prefer to leave it heating up my bed until I get in.
  • Have a nap - I am guilty of doing this regardless of periods. I get regular migraines so I find that a little nap can help reset my energy levels.
  • People say to avoid caffeine and chocolate - But come on who can resist chocolate especially when you've got no energy and got a low mood. According to research, caffeine makes the body retain water which can result in aches, cramps and a bloated feeling. Its recommended to have dark chocolate instead of milk chocolate. But who can resist a Dairy Milk or Galaxy bar? Or even yet a Terry's Orange...mmm my mouth's watering now, ahaha.
  • Another way of being prepared for your period is keep track using many apps that are now available. When I first started getting periods I would underline the date it started and the date it ended on my wall calendar. But why use a wall calendar when you can have it on your phone? I love using the app, Clue. If you haven't heard of Clue, check out my review, right here - Review of Clue. This basically allows you to keep a track of how long it lasts, how heavy you are, side effects, and a estimate of the next 3 months of when you should be due on so you will always be prepared.
I hope you found this post useful. And if you have any tips of how to take self-care during your time of the month, please share below. 
Nadine Alex x
_______________________________________________________________________________
Treat yourself over at Coconut Lane - www.coconut-lane.com 
Use the code 'nadinealex20' at the checkout for 20% off
_______________________________________________________________________________
Twitter: @beauty7products
Instagram: @nadineealex_97
Bloglovin: Nadine Alex

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Search This Blog

Subscribe