My First Smear Test

March 08, 2022

Hey guys,

As I am approaching 25 years old in the next few weeks I received my Smear Test letter a few months ago. This is a must do task!! If you are reading this and haven't had yours yet - book it in. 

What is it?

This cervical screening checks the health of the cervix which is basically the opening to your womb. It is a bit awkward as obviously they have to observe down there but if you want children you'll get used to it or if you have had children then your more likely not bothered. I definitely want children when I'm older but I have also got the IUD so I have already been through that awkwardness. Plus, I always think if you can let a guy see down there why can't you let a professional nurse? This test is to to gather some cells from the cervix which are then sent off to a lab to check for Human Papillomarvirus (HPV). If they find these cells they will then check to see if there are any changes. If there are you will get sent for further tests but if they don't spot any changes they recommend you go back in 3 months time just for a little check up. However, if the cells aren't present you don't have to go for another test for 3 years. Luckily, if they do spot the cells they can usually be treated before they get a chance to turn into cervical cancer. You usually find out your results by letter 2 weeks later (maybe slightly later due to a backlog in tests with this pandemic).

**Side note - HPV is actually quite common and my Nurse was saying at some point majority of people do get cells as there are numerous factors such as - sex (any type) , sharing sex toys, and skin to skin contact of the genital area.

What happens at the appointment?

The test usually takes about 5-10 minutes by a female nurse or doctor. Unfortunately, (if it wasn't awkward enough), as I have the coil the nurse had to check the coil was in place but she couldn't find the threads as they had tucked themselves away. Luckily, the coil was still in place though. But this meant she was back and forth using 2 different length tube-shaped tools (speculum) to make sure she was getting the cells from the right place. 

Before starting, the nurse explains what will happen during the test and answers any questions you may have. The nurse showed me a diagram of the cervix and what tool they use. You'll need to undress from the waist down and there is a extra sheet on the bed for you to put over yourself. The nurse will ask you to lie back on the bed, with your legs bent, feet together and knees apart. On the ceiling, my nurse had this funny poster of a cat and it was such a good distraction. The nurse will then gently put the speculum into your vagina. Don't worry they will use a small amount of lubricant so it shouldn't hurt. They will then open the speculum so they can see your cervix and then using a soft brush, they take a small sample of cells from your cervix. Once the sample is taken the nurse will remove the speculum and leave you to get dressed. (There are a few non-graphic videos on the NHS website if you want more detail). 

Photo Credit: Google Images

Tips:

  • Be as relaxed as you can
  • Don't be alarmed if you have some spotting or cramps afterwards - or in my experience, if your next period is slightly delayed
  • Wear something you can leave on during the test - a long jumper or a skirt
  • Before the pandemic you could bring someone along with you for support - hopefully this will be allowed again soon
  • Breathing exercises - My nurse was doing this with me to keep reminding me haha
  • Ask if it's an option to lie in a different position if you don't feel comfortable - As my appointment was a bit longer than usual my back was starting to hurt so the nurse suggested making fists and putting them underneath my hips; this actually helped us both
  • You can ask them to stop at any time
  • Bring something to listen to - My nurse had a little white noise machine which is the best thing - I understand why babies love them too
  • Talk to your nurse to distract you - Mine was talking to me about my job, hobbies, what my plans were for the weekend etc
  • It is best to get an appointment a week after your period has ended
Nadine Alex x
_______________________________________________________________________________
Treat yourself over at Coconut Lane - www.coconut-lane.com 
Use the code 'nadinealex20' at the checkout for 20% off
_______________________________________________________________________________
Twitter: @nadineealex_
Instagram: @nadineealex_97 
Bloglovin: Nadine Alex 

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. I had one when I still lived in the UK so I am well overdue one -- it's so great you shared this as it demystifies something I think a lot of people who need to have them often ignore or fear. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely need it doing! I'm one of those who has to look everything up before I go somewhere and I couldn't find anything in depth so knew it was definitely a post that needed to be done

      Delete

Search This Blog

Subscribe