Tattoo Update & Tips

July 20, 2022

 Hey guys,

Thinking of getting a tattoo? Or curious of them? Well so I was before my 18th birthday (donkeys ago I know) and that's when I got my first tattoo. I am many down the line now, 11 to be precise. Okay, so they are tiny ones compared to others who have huge ones but hey personal choice.

When I got my first tattoo I had so many questions going through my head and especially with the fact it's permanent. Will I still like it down the line?! What if I regret it?! I thought long and hard about my first tattoo and if I wanted the tattoo to represent something. Long story short, my Nan died when I was 3 years old so my Great-Nan became my first Nan - and when I was 17 I badly broke my ankle in which I had to go to appointments every Monday or every other Monday. After my appointment I would go to my Nan's for some lunch (I mean her sandwiches were devine) and watch Doctors and some ambulance programme. Unfortunately, she died a few months later. So when I turned 18 I decided my first tattoo would be a Feather (behind my ear). 

Feather's represent freedom, beauty and a gift from the sky. They always say that if a feather lands by you then someone who has passed is with you. Therefore, I decided I would get a feather so I always get that closeness with my family members that I have lost. I am 24 years old now and I still absolutely love this tattoo the most and if my mind ever wonders thinking of them I always find I am touching my feather. 

I'm not going to go into full detail about all my tattoos as we will be here forever haha but I will give you an overview:

1. Feather - As mentioned above.

2. Heart on my left wrist - I got this in University just because I wanted to haha but then I found out a few weeks later, when I had put the healed look on my Instagram, that my one of my older cousin's who I look up to when I was younger has the exact same tattoo in the same place. I promise I didn't know she had it haha. 

3. 'Belle âme' quote with a rose on one rib - This means beautiful soul in French. My name is French meaning Hope but so many people say that I have a 'beautiful soul' as I am kindhearted and always putting others first.

4. Unalome in the middle of my chest - To be honest, this was just because I thought it was pretty but then a year later my Mum noticed it and wanted the same so now its like a mother & daughter tattoo.

5. Dreamcatcher on the other rib - I used to get nightmares as a child so my mum bought me a dreamcatcher and I don't know whether its just a superstition but ever since I rarely get nightmares (I still do but not as many).   

6. Elephant on the left inner ankle - My favourite animal. Also the same as my Nan who passed away when I was 3 years old. 

7. Lotus flower on the left outer ankle - I got this with 2 of my close friends but it also means new beginnings and I was in a place where I needed to turn the page and start taking life a lot more seriously.

8. Anchor on the right inner ankle - I got this on holiday when I was 19. (Don't recommend as I was paranoid when I got back - luckily I was fine haha). When I was 18 my friends got me an Anchor charm for my Thomas Sabo bracelet so it's now like a little dedication for them. 

9. Wave on the right outer ankle - I'm a Pisces which means I'm a water girl. Plus, I've had so many highs and lows which reminds me like a wave. 

10. 'Pause' quote with a butterfly - I think this has becomeone of my favourites. I got this as a reminder that sometimes you need to pause & think about life and what you have to be grateful & thankful for. I got a butterfly slightly above it flying away from the quote to represent 'letting go'.

11. Moon & star on the outer left side of wrist - Just because I love nature haha. Funny fact though - I have recently just come back from Turkey and my tattoo is literally the Turkey flag minus the red haha and was wondering why the Turks kept trying to talk to me - probably though I love Turkey hell of a lot ahaha.

Tips:

1. Do your research - where hurts the most, the tattoo place you want to go to and its hygiene rating, the size you want the tattoo etc.

2. Do you want meaning?

3. I have always had the photo on my phone of what I want before I make the appointment to make sure I am 100%. 

4. Get people's opinions but also don't - If you love it go for it.

5. Eat and drink before your appointment.

6. Invest in some Bepanthen nappy cream for the after cream - Does wonders.

7. If you have a low pain threshold maybe invest in some numbing cream.

8. Don't drink the night before as this thins the blood and can lead to excess bleeding.

9. When they are stenciling it out be honest with them if you want it resizing or repositioning.

10. Tell the tattoo artist to stop if you need a break.

Nadine Alex x
_______________________________________________________________________________
Treat yourself over at Coconut Lane - www.coconut-lane.com 
Use the code 'nadinealex20' at the checkout for 20% off
_______________________________________________________________________________
Twitter: @nadineealex_
Instagram: @nadineealex_97 
Bloglovin: Nadine Alex 

You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. Love the little elephant, that's SO cute! I had my second tattoo this January and it was a vastly different experience to my first, when I was 18 years old. I'll be getting my third in the next couple of months, a little tribute to my dog who we sadly just lost. I love tattoos; I don't think there's any right or wrong, sometimes meaning is great but some tattoos are just beautiful for the artwork x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you. I'm so sorry for your loss, so heartbreaking losing a pet aswell as a human being, will be a beautiful tribute. What other tattoos have you got? There really isn't, it's definitely down to personal choice x

      Delete
  2. I'm very sorry for your losses, beautiful soul. It must have been tough and it yet it's so wonderful to see how you turned into this direction. I'm a great believer that tattoos should always have meaning and yours are incredibly meaningful x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you lovely, that's so kind. Definitely prefer meaningful tattoos although ones that don't have meaning do look amazing too. Tattoos are art and I believe art tells a powerful story x

      Delete
  3. Admittedly, I have become a pro at tattoos - at the very least, at getting them done on me! I love how delicate all of yours look, very feminine - mine are colourful and all, but I don't regret any one of them! My one thing is I stick to one artist and one only - not because of style, but because of how comfortable I can be around him now!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Subscribe