My Graduation Day 11/07/2018

July 12, 2018

Hey guys,
Oh my goodness, its finally here... 
          I know people say this all the time but I honestly did not think I would make it to the end. I was doing endless night shifts in work and therefore was sleeping in the day and was struggling to keep on top of work. I got told it was going to be one weekend of night shifts a month but at one point I did a total of 7 consistent week of night shifts (Tuesday to Saturday).

11th July 2018 officially marked the end of my university journey & student life and I became a Liverpool John Moore's University graduate! I completed my degree in Early Childhood Studies and graduated with a Upper Second Class (2:1)
Outfit, makeup & hair:
Choosing what to wear for graduation was so hard. I spent months and months prior trying to find the perfect outfit - a colour that doesn't clash with the colour of the gown, simple yet glam and that protects my modesty. Who knew it could be so difficult. I bought dozens of dresses and sent them back as I couldn't find the perfect one. I finally found a dress 2 days before the event...yes the pay for next day delivery was worth it. I absolutely loved the dress. It was a simple red blazer dress from Pink Boutique for £35. 


The week leading up to graduation was so stressful, yous would think yous were watching a drama, yous wouldn't believe it. I came back from Barcelona on the Saturday 30th and had a massive falling out with my mum and we didn't make up until Monday. Then on the Wednesday was a massive unexpected turn so all the attention turned to this issue but I was also working everyday (including night shifts). Then on the Monday just gone, I realised I had no dress and the university had set a schedule so I was getting myself so worked up, so everything seemed impossible so I was determined I wasn't going. I was then working until 11pm on the Tuesday so didn't have time to tan but luckily I had a little tan from Barca and the English weather. Then my stress levels went up a notch when I realised I took the work keys home with me so I had to wake up at 6am to get to work for 7am to let the staff open up. 

Anyways...back to graduation, I decided I was in a rush to keep my hair simple and just straightened it. This was the best idea as there was quite a bit of wind and looked so much better with my accessories and with the cap. I decided to do my makeup natural but would look glam for evening celebrations. Thank goodness for primer, especially with this heat!! I was debating whether to get my makeup done but decided against it as I knew with the heat it would sweat off and I can be really fussy in which I want my makeup to look like. 

I am all about my skincare routine so a week before I was making sure I wasn't wearing as much makeup, especially with my tan from being on holiday. I was doing face masks every 3 days and went to bed the night before with the under eye gel mask from Soap and Glory. Also, the day before I filled my brows in with the Maybelline dream tattoo brow. I can't honestly recommend the brand, Peggy Sage, enough. Their foundation, highlighter and gold eyeshadow pigment was my favourites along with my holy grail Jaclyn Hill eyeshadow palette for Morphe. 

Location:
Firstly, we had to head to Liverpool's Art & Design building to collection our certificate, seating card, tickets and gown and cap. Then we were handed some prosecco and had the opportunity to take some pictures. We then had a dreaded 10-15 minute walk to where the graduation itself was being held, the Liverpool Cathedral. My poor feet are feeling it today...

The Cathedral itself was absolutely spectacular. Once we were inside we went to our allocated seats and chatted to people on my course around me. We waited about half an hour for the ceremony to start. It lasted around an hour and a half but went so quickly. The vice chancellors spoke and then us, graduates, were directed onto the stage and shook hands with 2 vice chancellors, the head of department and then our PLG tutor. For some reason with the stress and nerves leading up to the week and the fact I was going up in front of hundreds of people, the gown being heavy and big and with my feet killing with blisters, I started to loose control and was shaking. My friend had to tell me how to breathe and kept asking me if I was okay before we went onto the stage. But once I was on the stage I was completely fine. I think I was just afraid of falling and overthinking. After getting off the stage we was handed our Liverpool John Moore's University alumni badge. Our course was one of the first to go up, so then we was able to watch the rest of the courses and the honour graduates along with a postgraduate doing an inspiration speech about how life is just starting and said its okay if you still unsure what you want to. This was then followed by a opera duet which was just beautiful and breathtaking.

Once the ceremony was finished they played the National Anthem and we made our way outside were we able to take more photographs with our course friends and some more glasses of prosecco. After this, we was able to able to hand our gown and cap back outside the cathedral and we headed back to the car. 

My family, god love them, planned a surprise car but I spotted my cousin's car and could head my goddaughter's voice from the front garden. But it was such a lovely attempt. We had a few drinks, party food and the music rolling and then we all sat down to watch England play. Unfortunately they didn't win but so proud they got this far!
But hey £36,000 worth of debt and a certificate but totally worth it :) 

Walking through Liverpool city with signs congratulating the Class of '18, it was time to say thank you John Moores for an incredible yet tough 3 years. I could go back to first year within a heartbeat. It was so fun, partying 4 times a week with no care in the world and going to lectures still drunk. Second year was still full of drinking but I also suffered personal issues and I started working a lot more. Third year was the most stressful along with zero motivation and being a daily sufferer of migraines. These past 3 years has taught me a lot about myself and I have gained a lot of skills especially; problem solving, critical writing, decision making, multi-tasking, time management and organisation. I also feel so much stronger and resilient so I am glad I finally stuck to my guns and completed it. 
Nadine Alex x
______________________________________________________________________________________
Treat yourself over at Coconut Lane - www.coconut-lane.com 
Use the code 'nadinealex20' at the checkout for 20% off
______________________________________________________________________________________
Twitter: @beauty7products
Instagram: @nadineealex_97
Bloglovin: Nadine Alex
Tumblr: Nadinealex

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Search This Blog

Subscribe