How I Deal With Migraines

December 07, 2019

Hey guys,

As most people know I am a chronic migraine sufferer. I have suffered constant migraines for about 4 years now. They all of a sudden started when I was in university and working part time as well as living the usual student night life. My migraines usually affect my temples, forehead, back of the head and hurts one of my eyes to the point where I become sensitive to light. 

Over the 4 years I have become a lot better in controlling my lifestyle and triggers I think could be causing my migraines. I found that it's literally trial and error and can be completely different for every person. I still sometimes have to cancel things out with the doctors to find the right selection; they've changed my medication quite a few times. On the good days, the pain is just a normal headache or a mild throbbing sensation. But on the other days, there is a really intense tightening pressure, in which I feel like my head is going to explode. Some days, I actually struggle to get out of bed. Not even being dramatic... 

Paracetamol/Sumatriptan | I tend not to take tablets unless it's a necessity as I like to try and ride the migraine out without putting anything into my body. If it's a really bad migraine I'll take my prescribed sumatriptan as it usually kicks in within 2 hours and if it doesn't your allowed to take the second dosage.  

Water | Water is an essential to daily habits anyways and everyone knows the benefits of drinking water. But I've found that when I get the early signs of a migraine it will be when I haven't drank that much water. Dehydration is a massive trigger. 
Photo Cred: Pexels
Sleep | I always find that putting myself to bed, especially in a dark room, even if it's for a little bit can help massively. It's quite difficult if I'm in work or out and about when I get an attack but if I'm at home or near my home then this is my go to. 

Kool 'n' Soothe Migraine Head Strips | These are a god send! At first when I saw them being advertised and in the shops, I was very skeptical. They are soft gel sheets which provide an instant cooling relief (a bit like an ice pack you was given in school for a bump - they were never that cold ahah). They usually last 8 hours which is more than an enough for a migraine attack.  
Photo Cred: Google 
Ease pressure on your head | I always find if my ponytail is too tight it can cause a lot of tension - God knows how Ariana Grande copes with her ponytails. I also find if I wear headphones instead of earphones they can create unnecessary pressure. 

Regular sleep hours | Okay... I'm still learning this one. Im useless. I used to work in food retail so used to work all kind of hours which could be early's to day shifts to night shifts so never gad any pattern. In this job I now work 8:30-4:30pm so should be in a routine. But I'm still a sucker for going to bed late and getting out of bed 20 minutes before I suppose to leave. I tend to get tired easily after work so have naps. Maybe I should cut the naps out and then I wouldn't go to bed so late haha. 
Photo Cred: Pexels
Unwinding and switching off | I always like to get a hot bubble bath after work and sometimes include lush products. Once or twice a week I like to use face masks to help my skin and have a detox. I like to try and not go on my phone half an hour to an hour before bed and try and read a book. If I'm not in the mood for reading I'll put an easy tv show (e.g Friends of Fresh Prince) that can help me fall asleep. 
Photo Cred: Pexels
Limit chocolate and salty foods | I have found that if I'm having one of the days where I'm craving chocolate ands salty foods I am more likely to have an attack. 

I have my Daith pierced as I heard that quite a lot of people who have migraines believe it can relieve the pressure - similar to acupuncture. A daith piercing is a piercing in the fold of the cartilage that is just a move the entrance to the ear canal. I've had it done for a year now and although I still I get migraines I have noticed that I don't get as many attacks. They say (even though there isn't any scientific research) that the piercing 'activates' a pressure point which relieves tension on one of the impulses that is connected to the brain. I used to get about 3 a week whereas now I get 3 a month, if that. 
Photo Cred: Google 
Nadine Alex x
_______________________________________________________________________________
Treat yourself over at Coconut Lane - www.coconut-lane.com 
Use the code 'nadinealex20' at the checkout for 20% off
_______________________________________________________________________________
Twitter: @beauty7products
Instagram: @nadineealex_97
Bloglovin: Nadine Alex

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. sumatriptan 25 mg is used in the treatment of migraines. It relieves the symptoms of migraines and prevents the attack from becoming worse. That medicine helps by narrowing the blood vessels, thereby relieving migraine headaches.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Subscribe