Isolation Reads

April 19, 2020

Hey guys,

Last year I decided I was going to be more useful with my time and read more instead of constant scrolling on my phone. However, all year I think I managed 2 books. Therefore, during isolation I made it my goal to start getting into reading and to not let my screen time become high. Don't even get me on the time I spend on my laptop. It has been made slightly easier reading in isolation as the weather has been gorgeous and it's impossible to go to a beer garden ahaha.


The Guilty One by Lisa Ballantyne
Omg this book is a must read. I loved it.
It is about a young 11 year old boy, Sebastian, who is accused of murdering an 8 year old boy, Ben.  The book is full of suspense from the get go, I couldn't put it down. From the first page when Daniel, the lawyer, goes to the police station to meet Sebastian you are just gripped. Daniel defends juveniles but when it comes to Sebastian something triggers his memories of his upbringing and found himself intertwined. Each chapter parallels back and forth (beautifully yet not confusingly) from the story of the murder and leading to the court case to then Daniel's upbringing and how it makes him question everything he's believed in. It is so mind-blowing how you can actually feel sorry for the accused and you actually question if he did commit the crime or not. It is very well written. I found it was quite clever as it becomes more aware that there are a very guilty people throughout but may not know how it's shaping other peoples' lives. However, without spoiling, I did find the ending too obvious yet still found myself drawn to the debate on nature and nurture of what impacts a child's actions, especially the parents.
To be truthful, I was more drawn to Daniel's backstory compared to the main storyline. It just fascinated me how some children who had really bad upbringing can turn that around and up to become successful. Daniel was brought up by a heroin-addict mum who he protected against against abusive men. He was eventually 'saved' by a foster carer, Minnie. We learnt about Minnie and her background which was moving as well. I loved Minnie. She was some character alright; funny, strong, fearless, loving, had everything thrown at her. Deep down Daniel knew that Minnie made a big mistake (which I won't spoil) but that is often what comes when you love someone deeply.
I would honestly recommend this to anyone and would give it a 4 star rating. On Amazon it is the number 1 bestseller in fiction writing and Richard and Judy's favourite book - if they are any consolation.


The Old-Girl Network by Catherine Alliott
My friend got me this book for Christmas and it has took me a while to get around to reading it. But omg I love this too. This one is more of a romantic, witty kinda read. When I opened this book and read the blurb I was instantly like this is my kind cuppa tea. Which is exactly what my friend, Ella, said when she chose this book for me. It is written all over the cover as 'The number one bestseller' and has all positive quotes from various journalists which was promising.
From just reading the blurb it is about a young, helplessly romantic girl called Polly. Polly has a very demanding boss and a gorgeous yet 'fuck-boy' vibes kinda boyfriend. One morning on the way to work she meets an American boy who is in the need of her help of finding his missing fiancé.
To be honest, at first when I was reading the book I was kind of getting glimmers of my life (minus the discrimination) and was thinking 'Omg why has my friend given me this book?', 'Has she given me this specific book on purpose?...'. But then I carried on reading and actually started to somehow connect with Polly and how we are quite similar yet very different. 
There was one particular scene, a freezer section, which you could just picture the scene and I was actually laughing out loud and my dad commented how I was getting into the book. Apparently, there is a sequel called Going too Far, which I am gonna have to purchase. I found the characters are easy to connect with in one way or another as the style is very realistic and well-rounded. The scene was well captured in which I felt I could create an image in my head to follow. For some reason, (this is just me) but I had just watched Confessions of a Shopaholic (You know with Isla Fisher and Hugh Dancy in) and I kept picturing Hugh Dancy as portraying Nick, the boss. 
Polly comes across self-absorbed and dumb at times but throughout you find that she is just trying to help and see the positive/good side of people. This does lead to awkward situations and quite a bit of embarrassment. But I think this is very realistic to how real life can play out. I didn't like the fact she lies about her life continuously throughout as this comes across that she is embarrassed of her life including family and upbringing.   
Overall, I would give this book a 3.5 star rating

I have got a few more books that I have recently purchased but haven't got around to reading them yet. Hopefully, I will do another post on what I think about them books. If you have been reading, what books could you suggest?
Nadine Alex x
_______________________________________________________________________________
Treat yourself over at Coconut Lane - www.coconut-lane.com 
Use the code 'nadinealex20' at the checkout for 20% off
_______________________________________________________________________________
Twitter: @beauty7products
Instagram: @nadineealex_97
Bloglovin: Nadine Alex

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. Ooh these sound like two really different books but both good in their own way. The Guilty One sounds like a really intriguing read, definitely one I'm going to be checking out. Thanks for the recommendations and great reviews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I say definitely check it out. The Guilty One is definitely a good drama read and The Old-Girl Network is the one for a romance. Let me know if you check it out x

      Delete
  2. Will deffo refer back to this next time I need a new book to read! Thanks x

    http://www.ellacharlottejones.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fabulous, let me know if you get any of these books x

      Delete

Search This Blog

Subscribe