What Made Me Change My Mind?

May 06, 2017

Hey guys,

So what made me change my mind about what path I was going to take when I left college? Why university and not an apprenticeship? I still wonder why myself.


When I was in college/sixth form, the teachers were adamant on getting every pupil to apply for university. I remember I didn't initially apply so the Hear of Year called me into the office and was like 'Why not' and I said I wasn't sure what I wanted to do and would need to talk to my parents as its a big decision. 

Picture taken from Google. 
Anyways I got home and my parents were fully against the idea of me going to University and wanted me to do an apprenticeship believing it was the best way to getting into Nursery work and then once I get the experience I could apply to do a PGCE to become a Primary School Teacher that way. But I was stuck in two minds on what route I should do. I went to several career choice meetings and they were questioning what I wanted to do in life and all sorts of stuff. My dad being a manager says he interviews quite a lot of people and there was 2 people who got rejected from a job because even though they had the qualifications they didn't have the experience. This made me very skeptical and made realise I wanted to do an apprenticeship.

So I got to school and my form tutor was like apply so I did and found I had got the same course in the same university as my best friend - ofc it was a conditional offer and we both had to get the grades we needed to be accepted. We have chosen the same courses since we were allowed to opt, it was so weird how we were both put in the same form group due to alphabetical surnames and we ended up being in the same classes so we became friends and then we realised we wanted the same things from life. 

Picture taken from Google. 
During the summer I found that I had achieved the grades I needed to go to university and that my university had given me the acceptance which made me so happy. During sixth form I had completed level 3 Health and Social Care. But during the summer, I was also applying for apprenticehsip jobs at the same time in which I was successful in getting interviews. I got an interview for a Nursery at the bottom of my road so it was so easy and accessible. However, during the interview I was sitting there thinking I don't want to be here and it isn't what I want to be doing. Plus, the manager wanted me to do level 3 again   due to Health and Social Care being not 100% focused on children. The manager made my whole A-Level grade feel like a total waste. I felt like my smile was forced on. During my times doing placement I realised that I didn't want to work in a Nursery but that I felt more comfortable working with Primary School children instead. The manager asked me if I could come back in a week later with a planned activity to do with the children. However, as I didn't want to waste my time I kindly declined the offer and apologised for wasting her time which she totally understood. 

I have now just finished my 2nd year at university and even though I moan about the assignments and exams I do feel like I chose the right path in the end. During university I have completed more placement opportunities and thoroughly enjoyed working within the primary school with children aged 4 and 5 with the odd 6 year olds. I felt more comfortable and in my zone and the smile was definitely not forced on. But also, during university I have found that social work or a health visitor sounds quite interesting so I am trying to see if I could get experience there, which have both been quite difficult to find. I have 1 final year left and then I am going to do a PGCE course, which allows me to teach. From there I don't have a clue what I am going to do, which I know is fine. I know I definitely want to go travelling around the world for a bit before I settle down into a career. But also part of me wants to go abroad and teach unfortunate children as I think this will be a great opportunity for me to develop and grow myself. 
Picture taken from Google. 

As people say, the world is your oyster!
Nadine Alex x
______________________________________________________________________________________
Treat yourself over at Coconut Lane - www.coconut-lane.com 
Use the code 'nadinealex20' at the checkout for 20% off
______________________________________________________________________________________
Twitter: @beauty7products
Instagram: @nadineealex_97
Bloglovin: Nadine Alex
Tumblr: Nadinealex

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Search This Blog

Subscribe